Sunday, March 4, 2007

Tests and Treatments



After figuring out which symptoms I had, I wanted to figure out how I got it. I asked Dr. S. what she thought. She said that if someone in my family had the disease, which my grandmother does, then I was more susceptible to getting it. My grandmother has been dealing with it for some time and is also on medication to help regulate the gland.

According to David Currie, author of The Thyroid Page, the ratio of females to males getting Hypothyroidism is 10:1 respectively. He states that females are more suitable to getting thyroid diseases (Currie 1).

Hashimoto’s disease is “caused by abnormal blood antibodies and white blood cells attacking and damaging thyroid cells” (Rosenthal 40). This can happen in a number of ways. First, it can be caused if a person has hyperthyroidism, Grave’s disease, or has part of the gland removed, and has it treated. Babies can also be born with no thyroid. This is called congenital hypothyroidism. When this happens, the baby is immediately put on thyroid supplements and then it typically develops normally. Mothers can also develop postpartum hypothyroidism. This is when the “thyroid gland becomes inflamed after delivery” (Rosenthal 41). This is often temporary. Lastly, if the “pituitary gland is affected by illness, hypothyroidism can set in” (Rosenthal 41). The pituitary glad regulates the thyroid hormone production, so the thyroid glad is very sensitive to it (Rosenthal 41).

I am currently taking .025mg of Synthroid every morning. I am supposed to take it once daily an hour before I eat, or four hours after. I rarely follow it though because I normally do not wake up early enough to have time to wait an hour in the mornings before eating and heading off to class. Also, as stated in the previous blog, twice a year I have to go for blood work, where they test my TSH levels and T4 levels. I also have to get yearly sonograms so they can measure my gland to see if it is growing or shrinking.

Some of the tests M. Sara Rosenthal talks about are blood work. She states that it is important and sometimes difficult to get your doctor to order the proper blood tests. Rosenthal also states that treatments are easy. Most hypothyroid patients get put on a synthetic thyroid hormone replacement for life. The “normal dosages range between 100 and 150 micrograms” (Rosenthal 42). It usually takes some time to figure out the proper dosage amount. Many blood tests are required to see how the TSH and T4 levels change in your body. Also, these dosages may have to change throughout your life (Rosenthal 42).


This information is from the book The Thyroid Sourcebook by M. Sara Rosenthal, and from The Thyroid Page by David Currie, web address http://faculty.etsu.edu/currie/thyroid.htm.

1 comment:

Lilian Wale said...

There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome life style Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and over all well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2000. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a glucometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescibtion like: Insulin ,Sulfonylureas,Thiazolidinediones but Icould not get the cure rather to reduce the pain abd brink back the pain again. I found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I aslo contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabtes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, BODY PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, PROGERIA, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE, WEAK ERECTION. EYE TWITCHING PAINFUL OR IRREGULAR MENSTRUATION.Dr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal any body that come to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2349010754824